Monday, July 31, 2006

Hidden Treasure


I wrote the last blog in the wee small hours this morning. I'm writing this at the very end of the day, just before midnight. It was cooler today, and I got an earlier start. I only intended to water, but then I saw the cucumbers needed more attention. They are growing so fast I continually have to tie what ends I can to the stakes. Others go along the ground and I put papers under them to help keep them clean. If a cuke starts to grow on the paper or ground, I put a flat rock under it to keep it above the ground. You can see the cucumber plants in the foreground. That's a tomato in the red pot.

Since it was cool and I had a few extra minutes this morning, I decided to feed the fruting veggies a little more fish emulsion. And in the process, as I was pushing the cucumber leaves out of the way, I discovered that one of the plants had two fairly long cucumbers I'd missed in my daily searches. It's amazing that the leaves cover them so well that even when you're looking you can't always find them. It reminds me a bit of raising children. As parents we look anxiously to see if what we try to teach them is having any effect. We are always watching for signs of growth and they don't seem to be there. And then one day, all of a sudden, evidence of maturity you didn't expect seems to appear. You see that after all, your patient parenting is bearing the fruit you'd hoped it would.
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...